Vegetable oil, for greasing (or cooking spray)
Grated rind and juice of 3 large lemons
5 large eggs, separated
4 oz, generous 1/2 c. superfine sugar
1 1/2 tbsp powdered geletin (2 packets)
3/4 pint, scant 2 cups heavy cream
3/4 c sliced almonds
3/4 c powdered sugar
- To make the souffle collar, cut a strip of baking parchment long enough to fit around a 3 3/4 c souffle dish and wide enough to extend 3" above the rime. Fit the strip around the dish, tape and then tie it arond the top of the dish with string. Lightly coat the inside of the paper collar with oil using a pastry brush, or use cooking spray.
- Put the lemon rind and yolks in a bowl. Add 3 tbsp of sugar and whisk until the mixture is creamy.
- Place the lemon juice in a small heatproof bowl and sprinkle over the geletin. Set aside for 5 minutes, then place the bowl in a pan of simmering water. Heat, stirring occassionally, until the geletin has dissolved. Cool slightly, then stir the gelatin and lemon juice mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whip the cream to soft peaks. Fold into the egg yolk mixture and set aside.
- Whist the whites to stiff peaks. Gradually whisk the remaining sugar until stiff and glossy. Quickly and lightly fold teh whites into the yolk mix. Pour into prepared dish, smooth the surface, and chill for 4-5 hours.
- To make the almond topping, brush a baking tray lightly with oil (or cooking spray). Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle the almonds over the baking tray and sift the powdered sugar over. Broil until the nuts turn a rich golden color and the sugar has carmelized.
- Leave to cool, then remove the almond mixture from the tray with a palette knife of metal spatula and break it into pieces.
- When the souffle has set, carefully peel off the paper. If the paper does not come away easily, hold the blade of a knife against the set souffle to help it hold its shape. Sprinkle the carmalized almonds over the top before serving.
- This souffle is wonderfully refreshing when served semi-frozen. Place the undecorated, set souffle in the freezer for about an hour. Just before serving, remove from the freezer and decorate with the almonds.
- Can vary the flavor by using the juice and rind of 5 limes or 3 oranges.