Wednesday, November 10, 2010

At long last, I'm back!

After a difficult summer, filled with challenges and heartbreak, I'm finally ready to resume my posts. As you know, it all began with my carpal tunnel surgery, which put me out of operation for a while. Shortly thereafter, my younger brother was admitted to the hospital with severe back pain. It was a grueling couple of months filled with hope and prayers for a miracle, but by the end of summer, he lost his battle and cancer won. Our family has been devestated by the loss and still struggle today.  During the weeks of uncertainty, we turned to things of comfort--mutual support, the familiar. Not that we felt much like eating, but when we did, it was the "old favorites" that got us through.  While spending as much time as I could with my brother, we would talk about one of our favorite pasttimes--cooking. My brother was a great cook and we could talk for hours about the nuances of a particular recipe or ingredient. One afternoon was spent discussing the many uses of avocado. Growing up in Southern California, avocados were always around, but their use was limited.  I had recently discovered avocado fries and was describing them to him and he wanted so much to try them. Unfortunately, it was something he couldn't eat without great difficulty, so imagination had to suffice.  So, in honor of my brother, I'm going to share this wonderful, easy, decadent treat with you. I hope you take the time to make it and share it with someone you love...

Avocado Fries

1 or 2 large avocados, just ripe
1 beaten egg
Panko
Salt
Vegetable oil, for frying

Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a heavy duty pan to 350 degrees.

While the oil is heating, slice avocado in half, remove pit, and slice into long strips. Dip each strip into the beaten egg and then roll into the panko.

Fry a few at a time, being careful not to over-crowd the pan, until just golden. Do not over-cook. You do not want them to turn a dark brown.  Once they have reached the desired color, remove to a plate to drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with a little salt. Serve hot.

For extra goodness, serve with a sprinkling of fresh lemon juice and Salsa Ranch dressing for dipping. The outside should be crisp and the inside a little like butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment